Wednesday, September 26, 2007

God's Wonder in Wild Blueberries

Earlier this week I was invited by some friends to go picking wild blueberries today. Of course, while I'm in the middle of this house switch I shouldn't have gone, but I went along as if I didn't have a care in the world!! We ventured deep into the woods away from the noise and hustle and bustle of town. It was rewarding to the spirit, soul and body-though my body doesn't think so right now!

The quiet of the forest was so wonderful for the soul. I took take time to reflect upon things. I spent a bit of time talking to the Lord, thanking Him for His provision and also for His safety. I reflected alot upon His creation and the beauty of it. The solitude was welcome as in this busy house, the phone never seems to stop ringing, so many people come and go and the demands of life constantly call.

My friend, Diane and I walked into an open field and immediately I was taken back to the days when I was a young girl on my Grandparents farm in Slate Hill, NY. There was nothing like a walk in the pasture on a sunny day. I told Diane that the only thing missing were the piles of cow manure!

Ah those days of youth, where everything was amazing and wonderful-righteousness, peace and joy! In the midst of the many trials of my childhood, when I went to Grandma and Grandpa's I was free to enjoy life without it's many ups and downs. There was such a stability about them. They were very strict, but they also loved us so-and we loved them! They were my Mother's foster parents, but we didn't really know what that meant. To us it meant somehow we had these wonderful extra Grandparents that loved us dearly-we didn't care how we got them! We always knew them as Grandma and Grandpa and they never told us any different! My siblings and I thought it was great to have 3 sets of Grandparents when our friends only had two. We spent every moment there we could. And I am so happy to have those wonderful memories and to have a lifelong reminder of them in many things I do today.

As far as righteousness, peace and joy go...God restores so many things to us when we turn to Him. I felt as if I was in a bit of paradise today-away from the stress that tries to come upon me and knock me down by flaring this fibromyalgia. But He is so near to us in the midst of our trials too. He is a whisper away, He desires to guide us step by step if we will but call upon Him and ask Him for help.

This summer was such a learning experience for me. God has shown me many things in His Word about Himself. But the one main thing that stuck with me is that as I yield to Him and allow His Spirit to take the reins of my life, He will lead me so graciously in the paths He has stretched before me. Obedience to Him brings righteousness, peace and joy-and also such a oneness with Him-a presence that is not understandable by anyone who hasn't experienced it. The wonderful thing about the Father is that He bids all to taste and see that He is good. He is so patient and kind and loving to me-like a wonderful Father should be-and I want to hide in his cloak like a child does their Mother's. I want to be absorbed by Him. I want to reflect His presence. These things are all possible-to the degree that I yield. To the degree that I obey His Word. Yet, I can never forget that it all starts by faith and because of His unconditional grace bestowed upon me. He is so faithful to begin the work and complete the work He has begun in me! Knowing this causes me to love Him more and to rest in His arms, knowing He will keep me.

I've got so much to learn about being a keeper at home and the wife and mother he wants me to be. But He is teaching me in His Word and through His Spirit. Lord, let me always be teachable!

So, tonight, my Miss Lydia and I made up some blueberry pancakes. Thankfulness Pancakes-and we ate them up! So yummy-so thankful-for a day spent with friends in the Lord, spent in God's beautiful forest, safe and free and content!

Tomorrow I will share the basic scratch pancake recipe. It's just what I said, basic and from scratch-made with things you have right in your kitchen. Cooked on the cast iron pan they come out just right!!

Here's a poem to share my thoughts...



Abide With Me

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide:
When other helpers fail, and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
Earth's joys grow dim, its glories pass away,
Change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me.

I need thy presence every passing hour;
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless:
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes:
Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies:
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee:
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

Henry F. Lyte

As soon as I get a better camera I will begin adding photos to my posts. My camera went crazy this summer and wouldn't take pictures outside anymore. Soon I'll get a new one and then I'll take bunches!!!

Good night Dear Ones...and be forever thankful for the Home-sweet things.

No comments: