Tuesday, December 11, 2007

One Thousand Gifts

Hello Friends. I am daily inspired by a blog called Holy Experience. One day not long ago, I thought it would be a good lesson for me to post the things I am thankful to the Lord for and maybe encourage others to live in a state of thankfulness-after her example.



This scripture often comes to mind from Colossians 3:12-17:

12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.



I am encouraged to begin a journey of my own on the "Path of Thankfulness". The Lord has been so good, kind, patient and merciful to me since I began my walk with Him, I want to make a record of His love toward me.


Psalm 100


1 A Psalm of Thanksgiving. Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands!
2 Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before His presence with singing.
3 Know that the Lord, He is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
4 Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
5 For the Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, And His truth endures to all generations.





For as long as it takes, I will take the time to see God in ways I've never noticed before. Even in the very smallest and simplest of blessings that I might otherwise overlook.



Here is Ann's post on The Thousand Gifts in her own words. When I figure out how to link my list to the graphic in the sidebar...I'll do that to keep the list in order. In the meantime...I'll have to stick them in my daily posts.


#1 the warmth of the woodstove on a cold, damp, gray day.



#2 the sound of fellowship among my children



#3 fellowship with a friend



#4 clothes drying on the clothesline in the basement near the woodstove



#5 a safe drive through much traffic near the city and back home again




I will end with a Fay Inchfawn poem:





I Will Give Thanks

I will give thanks to the Lord my God,
For His mercy endureth for ever,
He shortened the wearying path I trod,
For His mercy endureth for ever.

Patience He gave to my own home folk
With spirit to make, and see, a joke.
He gave me again the signs of health
And wonderful friends in the commonwealth.
For His mercy endureth for ever.

I will give thanks for a mended shoe;
And a small gas-ring in my bedroom, too;
That neighbours sometimes come in for tea,
And a cat of character lives with me.
For His mercy endureth for ever.

I will give thanks for a grand new book,
Pleasant and clean as a running brook,
Which turned my thoughts in times of stress
To the coming kingdom of righteousness.
For His mercy endureth for ever.

I will give thanks that I need not dread
Change, nor old age, for He has said
He will show unto me His quickening power.
His kindness is not for the passing hour-
His mercy endureth for ever.



Thank you, Lord, for the honor of Your presence in our lives, large and minute. I pray you help us to be ever aware of Your gifts and faithfulness toward us. Amen

Remember Dear Ones, always, to be thankful for the home-sweet things. x0

No comments: