There's nothing like a cupful of warm homemade tapioca on a chilly winter's day! It warms the bones and the tummy! Total comfort food for those who love the Home-Sweet Ways! And while it's simmering in the crock-pot, you have time to do other things to bless your home.
Here's the recipe...serves 6-and you have to soak the tapioca overnight-so plan ahead!!
1 Cup large pearl tapioca (not instant)
I used the large pearl tapioca this time, but it works for any size pearl.
4 Cups cold water (or enough to cover tapioca for soaking)
5 Cups milk (I use 2%)
1 Cup evaporated milk
3 egg yolks
2/3 Cups sugar
1-2 teaspoons lemon zest or zest of one lemon
pinch salt (opt.)
1. Place tapioca in bowl, cover with water, cover, let stand overnight.
2. Drain water from tapioca.
3. Place tapioca in crock of slow cooker.
4. Add milk, evaporated milk, and salt.
5. Cook on high for approx. 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
6. In small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar.
7. Temper small amounts of the tapioca into the egg/sugar mixture. I add 1/3 cup at a time until I have added 2 cups. Whisk constantly.
8. Add this mixture to the remaining tapioca in the crock pot.
9. Add lemon zest and stir to combine.
10. Cook for additional 15 minutes, stirring at least once.
11. Transfer to a large bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap to keep skim from forming.
12. Allow to cool to room temperature for at least 1 hour; then place in refrigerator until chilled. (Unless you like it warm!)
That's it! It is so easy and hits the spot on a wintry day!
Remember to always be thankful to God while you enjoy the Home-Sweet Things! x0